Want to bring something sweet and unique to your next holiday party? Pavlova, a meringue-based dessert that originated in Russia, is a lighter dessert that also happens to be fat-free. With a crisp crust and soft, airy center, consider this raspberry-cocoa pavlova recipe a healthier alternative to cake. A fresh raspberry sauce and a drizzle of chocolate syrup put the finishing touches on this elegant dessert. And since the cocoa powder is a prominent flavor, splurging on a premium brand (like Divine or Ghirardelli) will help the flavor shine through.
Photo by Evan Thomas
Fat-Free Raspberry-Cocoa Pavlova Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours (or overnight)
4 egg whites
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 ounces raspberries (fresh or thawed frozen)
4 tablespoons agave
Pinch of salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons agave
Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the powdered sugar and cream of tartar.
- In a large glass blow, beat the egg whites until they’re frothy and just start to thicken.
- While beating the egg whites, slowly add in the sugar until fully incorporated. Continue beating on high until soft peaks form.
- Sift in ¼ cup of cocoa powder and fold gently making sure not to deflate the egg whites. Continue folding until the cocoa powder and egg whites are mixed.
- Gently pour the meringue out in a 12-inch wide circle on a non-stick baking tray or an aluminum foil-lined tray. You can work the meringue with a soft spatula at this point to shape it into a circle.
- Place the tray in the oven, close the oven door, and turn it off overnight or for 8 hours until the meringue has set.
- Remove the meringue from the oven and gently move to a serving plate. Be sure to lift from the bottom since the sides will be delicate.
- In a small pot, add ¼ cup water to the raspberries and bring it to a boil. Continue boiling until nearly all of the water has evaporated.
- Turn off the heat and add in 4 tablespoons of agave, a pinch of salt and the vanilla extract and puree with a blender or potato masher.
- In a separate bowl, mix ingredients for chocolate syrup. Stir until well combined.
- Right before serving, pour the raspberry sauce over the middle of the meringue. Next, drizzle the cocoa syrup over the top of the pavlova. Cut into 12 slices to serve.
Source: Daily Burn Recipes